Here’s a handy cheat sheet that I use a lot from Hubspot.com. Hubspot is a customer relationship management (CRM) software company and has lots of great tips on marketing, social media, and sales articles.
Written by Lindsay Kolowich, Blog.Hubspot.com
When you’re selecting cover photos, shared images, and other social media assets, knowing the basic image dimensions might not cut it.
What if you want to make sure a certain part of your cover photo isn’t obstructed by your profile photo? And what’s the difference between shared link thumbnails, or in-stream photos — are the dimensions different for those?
As it turns out, sizing images correctly for social media is no simple task. Even just for Facebook marketing, photo dimensions vary according to where and how it’s shared — from cover photos, to timeline images, to profile pictures.
But if you’re looking for a detailed guide on social media image sizes, you’re in luck. See a written list of essential social media image dimensions below, sorted by social network and the type of image you’re posting.
Facebook Image Dimensions | File Sizes
- Cover image: 820 x 312 (minimum 400 x 150)
- Profile image: ≥180 x 180
- Shared post image: 1200 x 630
- Shared link preview image: 1200 x 628
- Event image: 1920 x 1080
With 1.5 billion daily active users, Facebook continues to outpace other social media channels. The images you use here are crucial — choosing a lower-quality one can make or break your engagement. Pro tip: The way images display on your own timeline might look different.
Your profile image will appear 170 x 170 on desktop, and 32 x 32 as a thumbnail associated with your Facebook posts.
Twitter Image Dimensions | File Sizes
- Header image: 1500 x 500 | maximum 5 MB
- Profile image: 400 x 400 | maximum 2 MB
- In-stream image: 440 x 220
Twitter, meanwhile, is often the social network of choice for users to talk about you. It’s where customers ask questions, leave praise, and request help. But, the format and display have changed several times in the course of its history, so here are the image dimensions you need to know.
Although your profile image will display 200 x 200 on most devices, you should still upload a photo that is 400 x 400.
Instagram Image Dimensions | File Sizes
- Profile image: 110 x 110
- Image thumbnail: 161 x 161
- Shared photos: 1080 x 1080
- Shared videos: 1080 pixels wide
- Instagram Stories: 1080 x 1920 (minimum 600 x 1067) | maximum 4 GB
Given that Instagram’s bread-and-butter is visual content, you’ll want your presence on this channel to match that foundation, especially in terms of quality. And with more than 700 million daily active users, you’ll want to look your best.
Instagram scales shared photos down to 612 x 612. Nonetheless, you should still set these image posts to 1080 x 1080.
Pinterest Image Dimensions | File Sizes
- Profile image: 165 x 165 | maximum 10 MB
- Board cover image: 222 x 150 (minimum 55 x 55)
- Pinned image preview: 236 pixels wide
Here’s a fun fact: 90% of content posted on Pinterest consists of external links. For that reason, it’s worthwhile to leverage Pinterest for referral traffic — but it still has to catch your audience’s eyes. Here are the dimensions to make sure your Pinterest presence maintains visual quality.
LinkedIn Image Dimensions | File Sizes
- Banner image: 1584 x 396 | maximum 4 MB
- Profile image: 400 x 400 (minimum 200 x 200) | maximum 10 MB
- Company Cover image: 1536 x 768
- Shared image: 350 pixels wide
- Shared link preview: 180 x 110
- Company logo image: 300 x 300 | maximum 4 MB
- Company cover image: 1536 x 768 (minimum 1192 x 220) | maximum 4 MB
- Company page banner image: 646 x 220 | maximum 2 MB
- Square logo (appears in company searches): 60 x 60 | maximum 2 MB
Love it or hate it, LinkedIn is the social channel for digital professional networking. And depending on your industry, it can still be a good vehicle for traffic and discovery, especially within the B2B sector. Plus, if you’re using it for recruiting purposes, it’s important to present well on a job that several people use for research on job listings, as well as employer culture, location, and more.
YouTube Image Dimensions | File Sizes
- Channel cover images: 2560 x 1440 | maximum 4 MB
- Channel icon: 800 x 800
- Video thumbnail: 1280 x 720
Here’s another network where visual content reigns supreme — not to mention, one with more than one billion users. Make sure your own visual assets match that underlying purpose and philosophy — not just with the videos you share on there, but with the profile presence you maintain.
Keep in mind that people use YouTube on many different types of devices, and your channel cover image will vary in appearance across each one. Images at 2560 x 1440 will be optimized for TV screens, while desktop computers will display them at 2560 x 423. Mobile devices will display YouTube cover art at 1546 x 423, while tablets will display them at 1855 x 423.
Snapchat Image Sizes
At long last, we arrive at Snapchat: yet another social media channel known primarily for its visual assets. When it comes to using this network for marketing purposes, dimensions are fairly uniform, whether you’re simply looking to use a geofilter, or you’re hoping to share an ad or sponsored lens.
- Geofilters, ads, and lenses: 1080 x 1920